I use to hide in my closet that has been already filled with too many skeletons. And I knew too well the phases of being in denial of being free from so many restrictions of being gay. Trust me, I know how the saying “the truth will set you free but at first it will make you miserable” feels like.
I went out from the closet. The skeletons were then cremated not into ashes but metamorphosed to glitter and hope. And I suddenly felt that I am eventually free.
I have been advocating for LGBT community since I was in college. It all started with my thesis. Then I went to face the “real life” after graduation and fought against the whims of society. Until I get to know my one true love, Andrae, and made a T-shirt printing business for LGBT to date.
By immersing myself in the LGBT community, it is as if I am seeing a pendulum of love and death. Some are getting married even though same-sex marriage isn’t allowed (YET) here in the Philippines while others die instantly of a known reason that most would rather not talk about, HIV. Through this blog, I hope to impart the message that anyone of us can have HIV. Any hetero, or gay or bisexual can acquire it. Not only the minority within a minority. It doesn’t discriminate. And in this regard, it must be open to the public so the more that we are educated about it, we avoid hate and stigma towards it and the people affected by it.
The only reason why I made this website answers the question, if we are not going to work for our own, who else will?
Bakla Po Ako, Confirmed! is a relatively new blog which was made March of 2014.
Owner: Joemar A. Belleza
Date created: March 2014
- HIV awareness campaigns – with the rise of HIV cases every month in the Philippines, especially in the MSM community, it is just but proper for us to make our readers aware of it. Hopefully, we will be able to remove the stigma of the mob against HIV by informing them about the disease, making a positive outlook for PLHIV and promoting ways on how negative stay as what they are.
- LGBT Issues – if we will not speak on our behalf, nobody else will. Through the blog, we address issues involving the LGBT community and the problems that we face within the community as well. We wish to empower the community and also point out some loopholes if there is a need. Through the blog, we would also feature events that are connected and that affects our community. If not really connected, we try as much as we could to find a way to parallel topics so it can be featured on our website.
- The purchasing power of the pink peso – many businesses and brands fail to see the untapped purchasing power of the pink market because of just tolerating the LGBT community instead of fully accepting it. More so, discrimination of the LGBT made the rear window of the economy foggy on what the pink peso can do. The blog wishes to translate sales on existing brands and what the LGBT can benefit from in a two-way communication through features and reviews that we are going to present in here.
The Pink Peso is coated Gold.
Being a business owner for a year already, I can say that the pink peso moves the economy. These people are willing to pay for services that they need (ex. Same sex couple shirts, LGBT-theme shirts, etc). Remove the LGBT from the society and surely it will face its demise. How can you not consider the LGBT entertainers, business owners, executives, celebrities and even politicians who are spending a fortune for their vanity?
– Joemar Belleza
Daily Visitors: 500-1000 visitors
Monthly Visitors: 5,000-15,000
Facebook Followers: 3300+
Top Blogs PH: #7 as of April (our highest ranking was #1 taking over the different porn sites that we wish to take down with intelligent guides for LGBT). The blog has been ranked #1 twice for 2015 and 0nce for 2016. It has been consistently included in Top 10 rankings in Top Blogs PH under Community and Groups making it the only gay blog with no pornographic content in it.
Other Media Appearance
On its first year, Bakla Po Ako or simply BPA has been featured for GMA News TV’s “Brigada” on its Nov 17, 2015 text scam segment.
Also, BPA contributed for GMA News Online for HIV awareness campaigns in the Philippines.
On October, the author was also invited to be one of the panelists for Digital Filipino’s Digital Influencers Marketing Summit 2015 speaking about “Pro Bloggers As Online Lead Generators and Propagators.” This is so because of the blog’s continuous and incessant pursuit of changing the game of the LGBT scheme specifically in content creation and promotion of the purchasing power of the pink peso.
In addition, BaklaPoAko.Com was also one of the speakers for the iBlog: The 11th Philippine Blogging Summit at the University of the Philippines College of Law last December 6, 2015.
If you have questions, proposals for features and reviews, events invitations, queries about HIV, speaking engagements for the said niches, and other concern regarding the website, you can just post fill up the form below and we will be happy to serve.
We arouse your mind and not just your “head.”
Latest posts by Joemar Belleza (see all)
- HIV 101 Twitter Style - 09/05/2018
- Are You A PLHIV Living With A Pet? Take Note On Some Of These Reminders - 08/29/2018
- My Education Was Funded By Estafa - 08/20/2018